Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Creature of Habit....

So, I ran out of orange juice for yesterday’s Body by Vi shake, and made strawberry banana.  It was really good, mind you – but it wasn’t my Orange Julius.

I am a creature of habit, really – which I am finding out in more ways than one.  It is the hardest part of this challenge, breaking old eating habits and replacing them with new ones.  A counselor once told me that food is an extension of how you feel about things and about life (Thanks, Dr. Steve!).  Essentially, what you choose to eat says a lot about your mental and emotional status at the time.  Some foods hold emotional ‘comfort food’ status, and your body wants to resort back to those when your ego is low, stress hits, whatever…

So for me, it has always been uber-salty foods.  I blame my Mom for my love salt, btw…and she will admit to this day she has the same addiction.  Chips, dips, sauces – whatever. 

And therein lies the biggest challenge to this. I have never lived the most healthy of lifestyles (hence my fat ass), and part of that is because when things get rough, Kev hits the chips.  So it has been a struggle sometimes at night, after I have closed up the stand, when I sit in the fireworks stand and play video games alone that I think ‘damn, fritos sure do sound good right now.’  I am proud of the fact that I haven’t given in and gone and bought some.  I am also helped along by the fact that I am in a fireworks stand and can not leave it to go buy any.  It helps keep me accountable, helps me make it easier to not break.

The fireworks stand – although not the easiest way to do this challenge – actually helps in this respect.  By the time the stand is closed, I will be about 8 weeks into the challenge, so hopefully the worst part of this adjustment will be behind me.

And, I had orange juice this morning for my Orange Julius Body by Vi shake.  Life is good, and developing new habits – while never easy – is going well, at least for this morning.

And another day of Rockin’ the challenge is underway…

ILJS
 
KDawg

1 comment:

  1. You go, son! Keep it up! Getting back on my horse this week to go for the 2nd 20 lbs.

    ReplyDelete